Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
We first got a copy of this recipe from McCormick (the spice people). The original version was extremely good tasting, but it had way over the 30% fat we allow and far too much sodium. After a bit of tinkering, we figured out a way to keep the taste but reduce the bad stuff.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter and mix it in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan cheese, all the bread crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning.
2. Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Then heat up a large non-stick skillet on medium heat.
3. Once skillet is hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the onion. Stir while cooking for about 5 minutes until the onion becomes tender. Mix in the flour, garlic powder, salt substitute, pepper and fat free milk. Stir and cook until it starts to thicken and bubbles.
4. Stir in the cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring and cooking until the cream cheese is melted. Pour the vegetables in and toss to coat them.
5. Pour the coated vegetables into a 2-quart baking dish (or a 13x9 dish as shown in the picture.) Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the entire casserole. Lightly spray the top with fat free butter flavor cooking spray.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned and vegetables are hot.
Yield: 10 Servings