Strawberry SORT OF Shortcake
Calories 192 (29% from fat)
Fat 6 gram
Saturated Fat 3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 5 mg.
Sodium 359 mg.
Carb. 35 gram
Fiber 1.5 gram
Sugar 4.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 11 gram
Protein 5 gram
fat free buttery spray
1 box (16 oz.) Pillsbury Sugar Free Classic Yellow Cake Mix
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup no sugar added applesauce
1 cup water
5 egg whites
2 cups water
2 packages (.3 oz each) sugar free strawberry gelatin
(We used Royal Sugar Free Strawberry.)
2 packets (16 oz. each) whole strawberries, tops removed and chopped (Save a few smaller ones for a garnish.)
2 cups cold fat free milk
1 package (1 oz.) Sugar Free - Fat Free Vanilla Jell-O
1 scoop (1/3 cup) protein powder
(We used GNC 100% Whey Protein Powder Vanilla.)
1 carton (8 oz.) sugar free whipped topping
(We used Sugar Free Cool Whip.)
1. THE CAKE - You're going to use the Pillsbury Sugar Free Classic Yellow cake mix, but do NOT follow the instructions on the box. Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then lightly coat the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan or two 9-inch round pans.
2. Blend the cake mix, canola oil, water and egg whites in a large bowl until moistened. Beat with a mixer on medium for 2 minutes.
3. Bake the 13x9 inch pan for 34-38 minutes OR the two 9-inch round pans for 29-33 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean it's done.
4. Allow cake to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan. Then cut the cake into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
5. THE FILLING - Take 2 cups boiling water and stir in the 2 packages (.3 oz. each) of strawberry gelatin. Once gelatin is dissolved, stir in the chopped strawberries. (Make sure to set aside some small strawberries if you want a garnish for the top.)
6. Split cake between two trifle dishes or place it all in a 13x9 glass baking dish. Pour strawberries and gelatin over the top, splitting it in half if you're using two trifle dishes. Gently press cake down and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
7. THE TOPPING - In a large bowl mix together the cold milk, Jell-O pudding mix, protein powder and Cool Whip. Whisk for approximately 2 minutes, then pour it over the cake, splitting it between the two trifle dishes or covering the entire 13x9 dish. Top with the reserved strawberries for a garnish.
HALF SERVING - If you don't want to make a huge serving for 16 people, simply make the cake part and freeze half of it after you cut it into cubes. Follow the rest of the recipe, but cut the servings in half and only buy half the strawberries. When you want the second half, thaw out the bread and remaining Cool Whip to mix up another batch.
OTHER FRUIT - You can substitute other fruit like fresh peaches and sugar free peach gelatin in place of the strawberries. Just measure out the same volume in weight.
Yield: 16 or Two Servings of 8 Each