Chicken and Chickpea Tagine
Calories 349 (23% from fat)
Fat 8.7 gram
Saturated Fat 1.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 118 mg.
Sodium 589 mg.
Carb. 35 gram
Fiber 8 gram
Sugar 9.8 gram
Sugar Alcohol 1 gram
Protein 34 gram
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
8 (5 oz.) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
2 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 1/4 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. coriander, ground
1 tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp. turmeric, ground
1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
1/4 tsp. red pepper, ground
1 cup water
1 packet (4g.) Herb ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
1 1/2 tsp. sugar free honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
2 cans (15 ounces each) low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 lemon cut into 8 wedges
The original version of this recipe we found in the December 2013 issue of Cooking Light. We simply replaced the honey with a sugar free version and swapped out the unsalted chicken stock (hard to find) with herb ox. Wow is it tasty!
1. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper evenly over the chicken thighs on the meaty side up. Then start heating a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Chop up the onion and garlic. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat. Put the chicken thighs in the pan, meaty side down and cook for 5 minutes or until the meaty side is well-browned. Do NOT flip the chicken or brown the other side.
3. While the meat is browning, mix together in a small bowl the next six ingredients, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, ground ginger and ground red pepper. Then set the spices aside.
4. When the chicken is browned on the meaty side, remove from the skillet and set aside. Put the onion and garlic in the pan and sauté for 4 minutes. Then stir in the spices you mixed together and cook an additional minute. Keep stirring constantly when you add the spices.
5. Add 1 cup water, the packet of Herb Ox, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt, honey and cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer and then carefully pour it into a 6-quart slow cooker.
6. Stir in the dried apricots and rinsed chickpeas. Put the chicken thighs on top with the browned side up. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
7. When it's ready, divide into 8 servings. Get rid of the cinnamon stick, serve each chicken with a lemon wedge and sprinkle with cilantro for those that want it.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.