Sweet and Sour Chicken - Baked
Calories 345 (20% from fat)
Fat 8 gram
Saturated Fat 2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 169 mg.
Sodium 1183 mg.
Carb. 31 gram
Fiber 0 gram
Sugar 4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 35 gram
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 large whole eggs
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
buttery cooking spray
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
6 garlic cloves (6 tsp.), minced
A delicious sweet and sour sauce with almost none of the sugar that traditional sauces have. Serve it with some vegetables, and you have a fantastic meal.
You can also fry the chicken in a cast iron skillet and then use that to bake it in the oven if you want.
This recipe is higher in sodium. If you're on a low-sodium diet, you might want to consider another option.
1. Cut the chicken up into bite-sized pieces, mix together and set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs together in a large mixing bowl. Then add the chicken and stir until combined.
3. Gently whisk together the cornstarch and garlic salt. Mix that into the chicken just until it's coated.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil.
5. Cook the chicken in the frying pan, stirring occasionally until it starts to brown on all sides; about 6-8 minutes.
6. Lightly coat a 13x9 casserole dish with buttery cooking spray or olive oil.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Spread the chicken evenly in the casserole dish.
9. Combine the Splenda, onion powder, pepper, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and garlic cloves in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together, then pour over the chicken in the casserole dish.
10. Bake for 45-55 minutes until the chicken is done. A thermometer should show the chicken is at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Divide into six servings and enjoy with vegetables.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can keep individual servings in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes, mix it together then heat on high for 1 more minute.