Broccoli Quinoa Soup
Calories 359 (16% from fat)
Fat 6.45 gram
Saturated Fat 0.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 143 mg.
Carb. 58 gram
Fiber 6.6 gram
Sugar 19 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 15 gram
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 cloves (2 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 bag (12.6 oz. or 4 cups) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1 tsp. turmeric
2 packets (4g. each) Herb ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
1 can (12 fluid ounce) fat-free evaporated milk
1 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
1. Put frozen broccoli in a microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir and put back in for another 3 minutes. (If you have fresh broccoli florets, skip this step.) DO NOT DRAIN.
2. While the broccoli is heating up in the microwave, warm a non-stick pot over medium heat. Then add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until it starts to get tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli (with juices if you used frozen broccoli), water, quinoa, turmeric and chicken herb ox seasoning to the onion mixture. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Thoroughly stir everything together.
4. Once it's boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is fluffy. Stir every few minutes, it should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Shake the can of evaporated milk, then open the can and stir the evaporated milk and whole wheat flour into the quinoa. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly until everything starts to thicken. That should take about 5 minutes.
6. Lightly season with salt and pepper then serve.
Yield: 4 Servings - 1.25 Cups Each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later. Double the recipe so you get 8 servings out of it.
Microwave the soup for approximately 3 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.