Moroccan Stew - Vegetarian
Calories 354 (6% from fat)
Fat 2.3 gram
Saturated Fat 0.2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 726 mg.
Carb. 78 gram
Fiber 15 gram
Sugar 24 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 15 gram
1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
1/4 tsp. cloves, ground
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
1/4 tsp. turmeric, ground
1/8 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. light butter
2 cups sweet onion, chopped
2 cups kale, finely shredded
2 boxes (32 oz. or 4 cups per box) unsalted vegetable stock
1 can (16 oz.) reduced sodium garbanzo beans, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes, diced
4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups SWEET potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups carrots, chopped
2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. black pepper, ground (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. water
This is a delicious and hearty soup that can be served with a slice of crispy whole-wheat bread or over couscous. Freeze individual servings for a meal ready in five minutes. (The original recipe came from allrecipes.com.)
1. Combine the first 8 ingredients, cinnamon, through curry powder in a bowl and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it starts to brown, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Mix in the bowl of spices. Then add the kale and stir together until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes.
4. Pour the vegetable stock into the pot.
5. Stir in the following 8 ingredients, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, lentils, apricots and honey.
6. Increase heat to high, stir and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce heat to low. Simmer until vegetables and lentils are cooked and tender, about 30-45 minutes.
7. Stir in pepper.
8. Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the water and dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Stir the cornstarch into the stew and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
9. Divide into 8 servings and enjoy.
Yield: 8 Servings of About 2 Cups Each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.