Calories 65 (30% from fat)
Fat 2.1 gram
Saturated Fat 0.4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 2.3 mg.
Sodium 125 mg.
Carb. 7.4 gram
Fiber 0.5 gram
Sugar 1 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 3.2 gram
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
2 (4 oz.) packages fat free feta cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup raisins (packed), finely chopped
6 egg whites, lightly beated
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
3/4 of a 16 oz. package of pyllo dough - about 28 sheets
(We used Athens fillo dough Phyllo Pastry Sheets.)
buttery cooking spray
sugar free honey
(We Used Honey Tree Sugar Free Imitation Honey)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Then add the onions, cook and stir until they start to turn clear. Mix in the spinach, dill and flour and cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
3. Add cheese, vinegar, raisins, eggs, salt and pepper. Then mix it all together with your hands like a meatloaf until it's thoroughly combined.
4. Take a single sheet of phyllo dough and lay it flat on a clean and dry cutting board. Lightly spray it with buttery cooking spray. Then lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top of the first one and smooth them together. Keep a damp towel on top of the phyllo dough you're not using so it doesn't dry out.
5. Cut the two sheets of phyllo dough into long strips, 3 inches wide. Typical phyllo dough is 9 inches wide so you'd make two cuts, ending up with three strips.
6. Put a full tablespoon of the spinach mixture on the end of a strip. Then fold the corner over, with the filling to form a triangle. Fold the triangle up and continue folding until you're almost to the end of the strip of dough. Spray a light burst of buttery spray on the end so when you fold the last bit of dough over the top, it sticks to the pastry. Repeat until you use the rest of the spinach mixture up. It should make about 40 pieces.
7. Place the individual spanakopita on a baking sheet and lightly spray each one with more buttery spray. Then bake for 40-50 minutes, until it just starts to turn brown.
8. When serving, you can include sugar free honey to lightly drizzle across the top for an even sweeter flavor.
Yield: 40 Individual Servings