Cauliflower Wings - Asian Style
Calories 138 (9% from fat)
Fat 1.4 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 0.5 mg.
Sodium 903 mg.
Carb. 28 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 8.7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 4 gram
Protein 6 gram
1 head of caluliflower (6 inch diameter), broken into equal-sized florets
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
3/4 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup lower sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
2 cloves (2 tsp.) garlic, minced
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, packed
2 Tbsp. sugar-free honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
1/2 tsp. chili flakes (Optional)
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped green onions
We were told about this recipe first from CarsonSweezy.com. We made a couple changes to reduce the sugar and came up with an appetizer everyone loved. It also makes a great side during holidays.
This recipe is higher in sodium. If you're on a low sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. Put a large empty sheet pan in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Break apart the cauliflower head into florets, toss the stems and set the florets aside.
3. Use a large mixing bowl and whisk the flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper together. Then whisk in the milk.
4. Add the cauliflower florets and use a slotted spoon to mix and coat.
5. Once they're coated, add the panko breadcrumbs and toss again.
6. Lay a silicone mat or baking parchment and line the bottom of the sheet pan. Spread the coated cauliflower onto the sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes. Start making the glaze.
7. Flip the cauliflower after 20 minutes and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
8. Mix together all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan.
9. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and set it aside. The sauce will thicken more as it cools. Don't overcook or the glaze will come out burnt.
10. Once the cauliflower is baked, put it in a large mixing bowl and pour the glaze over the top. Toss to coat.
11. Serve the cauliflower with sesame seeds and chopped green onions sprinkled over the top.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual servings.
Re-heat them in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes.