Calories 60 (72% from fat)
Fat 4.7 gram
Saturated Fat 0.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 0 mg.
Sodium 96 mg.
Carb. 3 gram
Fiber 1.6 gram
Sugar 1 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 2 gram
buttery cooking spray
2 large eggplants (About 1 pound each.)
1/2 cup tahini, plus more as needed
6 garlic cloves (6 tsp.), minced
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced black olives
1/4 tsp. cumin, ground
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
This is a spread or dip made from roasted eggplant. It's higher in fat, but meant to be enjoyed on pita bread or with fresh vegetables for a savory treat.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Use a fork to poke holes in several places on the eggplant. Then put it in the oven and roast it for 30 - 40 minutes, turning occasionally, or until soft.
3. Once it's soft to the touch and wrinkled all over, remove it from the pan and put it in a large bowl of cold water.
4. Remove it from the water and peel the skin off.
5. Put the eggplant, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and black olives together in a food processor or blender and process for 60 seconds.
6. Add the cumin and salt to taste. Blend it into the mixture.
7. Put in a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
8. While it's chilling, prepare any vegetables or bread to serve with the baba ganoush.
9. Before serving, sprinkle the olive oil and parsley over the top.
Yield: About 3 cups, 2 Tablespoons Per Serving for a Total of 24 Servings