Lemon Protein Bars
Calories 249 (14% from fat)
Fat 3.7 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 54 mg.
Sodium 218 mg.
Carb. 41 gram
Fiber 3.4 gram
Sugar 10 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 13 gram
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 cups oatmeal
(We used Quaker Oats.)
1 package (1 oz.) Sugar Free, Fat Free Lemon Jell-O
1 package (2.9 oz.) Cook & Serve Lemon Jell-O
4 scoops (1 1/3 cups) protein powder
(We used GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein Vanilla Flavor.)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 whole eggs
1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1 can (14.5 oz.) No Sugar Added Sliced Peaches & juice, mixed in a blender
(We used Del Monte brand.)
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with fat-free cooking spray.
2. Combine the 6 dry ingredients, whole wheat flour through protein powder in a mixing bowl. Then stir in the first five wet indredients, applesauce, eggs, canola oil, blended peaches and milk. You may need to use a whisk to make sure all the lumps are out and it's thoroughly mixed together.
3. Pour the batter into the 13x9 dish and bake for 32-37 minutes, until center is firm and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. When finished take them out of the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Then cut in half lengthwise and divide each section into 6 bars.
5. To make the sugar glaze, put the powdered sugar in a bowl and use a spoon to mix in the lemon juice. Once it's mixed scoop up the glaze and drizzle/coat the top of each lemon bar with it.
6. If you're making the lemon bars for later or to freeze, don't put the glaze on top. Wait until you're ready to eat them, then take 1 tsp. powdered sugar and a couple drops lemon juice. Mix it together and use it to coat a single bar. (We mixed the single serving powdered sugar and lemon juice in a tablespoon.)
Yield: 12 Servings
Freeze bars for easy re-heating later. Make sure they're tightly sealed inside freezer safe bags or plastic containers.
Microwave each bar for approximately 1.5 to 2 minutes. To make sure it comes back moist, put the frozen bar in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or paper towel. It'll taste just like it came out of the oven fresh.