Chocolate Chip Oat Bars
Calories 336 (28% from fat)
Fat 10.5 gram
Saturated Fat 5.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 12 mg.
Sodium 93 mg.
Carb. 58 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 17.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 11 gram
Protein 10 gram
fat free buttery cooking spray
4 cups rolled oats
(We used Quaker Oats Quick - 1 Minute.)
1 cup Rice Krispies
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 scoops (2/3 cup) protein powder
(We used GNC 100% Whey Protein Vanilla Powder.)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
(We used Hershey's Mini Chocolate Chip Morsels.)
1/3 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 tsp. baking soda
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. imitation butter extract
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup sugar free imitation honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Honey.)
A. For egg whites to whip up they must not make contact with oil. Plastic bowls, even if they're cleaned really well can still have a small residue of oil on them. Always use metal or glass bowls to mix the egg whites in.
B. Eggs won't whip up well if there is any yolk in them. When you separate the egg whites from the yolks, do it in a cup first. If there's no yolk, then pour the egg white into the mixing bowl.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with fat free cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine the oats, Rice Krispies, flour, protein powder, Splenda brown sugar and baking soda. Then stir in the mini chocolate chips.
3. In a separate glass or metal mixing bowl, use an electric mixer and beat together the eggs until they start to form soft peaks. Then mix in the vanilla extract, butter extract, butter, apple sauce and honey. Pour over the oat mixture and stir everything together.
4. Now put everything into the prepared baking dish and level it out, pressing down lightly so it's compacted. Lightly spray the top with the buttery cooking spray.
5. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until the top turns a golden brown. Set on a wire rack and cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into 12 bars. Wait until it's cooled completely before serving.
Yield: 12 Servings
Freeze bars for re-heating later. Make sure they're tightly sealed inside freezer safe bags or containers.
Microwave each bar for approximately 20 to 30 seconds, depending on microwave strength. Cover the bar with a damp paper towel to keep it softer.