Bacon and Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Calories 504 (28% from fat)
Fat 16 gram
Saturated Fat 7.4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 46 mg.
Sodium 1203 mg.
Carb. 69.5 gram
Fiber 10 gram
Sugar 13 gram
Sugar Alcohol 11 gram
Protein 34 gram
3 slices reduced fat center cut bacon
(We used Gwaltney 40% Less Fat Center Cut Bacon. - You can also use turkey bacon if you'd like.)
1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
(We used Athenos Reduced Fat Feta Cheese.)
1/2 cup green apple, chopped
1 Tbsp. green scallions, chopped
fresh ground black pepper to taste
3 large egg whites
1 Tbsp. fat free half & half
2 Tbsp. Splenda
2 tsp. all-purpose flour
2 slices 100% whole wheat bread
(We used Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat Bread.)
buttery cooking spray
1/4 cup sugar free syrup
(We used Cary's sugar free syrup.)
This recipe is higher in sodium, so if you're on a low sodium diet you should choose something else.
This recipe includes all the ingredients for a single serving. If you're cooking for more, simply increase the ingredients by the number of people. It takes a few minutes to make, but the results are worth it.
1. Pre-heat a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, (about 340 degrees Fahrenheit), cook the bacon for about 3 minutes per side.
2. Remove bacon from pan and chop up. Put it in a bowl with the low-fat feta cheese, chopped green apple, chopped scallions and black pepper. Pour out the excess bacon grease and wipe out the pan. Put it back on the stove over medium heat.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites, half and half, Splenda and flour. Dip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture, letting it soak in for a few seconds each time. Lightly spray the heated pan with buttery spray and cook the bread until both sides are a golden brown.
4. Remove the bread from the pan, cover one slice with the bacon mixture and put the other slice on top. Then put in the microwave for 30 seconds to lightly melt the cheese.
5. Cut the sandwich in half, drizzle 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup over the top and serve immediately.
Serving a group? You can prepare much of this recipe in advance so it all comes out at about the same time. Here's how.
A. Follow steps 1 and 2 but increase the ingredients by the number of people you intend to serve. Put each serving in a small bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to a day.
B. When it's time to cook everything up, start at step three and cook two slices of French toast for each serving. Then pour the bacon mixture from the refrigerator over the French toast and put them in the microwave for a full minute.
C. Cut the sandwich in half, drizzle 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup over the top and serve immediately.
Yield: 1 Serving