Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Calories 306 (24% from fat)
Fat 8.2 gram
Saturated Fat 1.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 52 mg.
Sodium 397 mg.
Carb. 48 gram
Fiber 8.8 gram
Sugar 14 gram
Sugar Alcohol 3.7 gram
Protein 22.5 gram
butter flavored cooking spray
1 loaf (20 slices) reduced calorie whole wheat bread
(We used Nature's Own Wheat 40 Calories Per Slice.)
1 1/4 cup blueberries (6 oz.)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
12 large egg whites
2 large whole eggs
2 1/2 cups fat free milk
3 Tbsp. Splenda
(We used the box that measures cup for cup like sugar.)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
4 Tbsp. light butter
(We used Land O Lakes Light butter with Canola Oil.)
2 Tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
4 Tbsp. fat free milk
4 Tbsp. sugar free caramel
(We used Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel Sundae Syrup.)
3 Tbsp. lite corn syrup
1. Lightly coat a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick spray. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and spread across the bottom of the baking dish. Then sprinkle the blueberries and almonds across the top.
2. Put the cottage cheese, eggs, milk, Splenda, vanilla and almond extract in a blender or food processor. Blend until it has a smooth consistency and then pour evenly over the top of the bread in the baking dish. Cover with tin foil, put in the refrigerator and let sit for an hour or overnight.
3. In a saucepan combine the butter, Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, milk, sugar free caramel and lite corn syrup. Heat and stir until it's bubbling. The transfer to a small bowl, cover and put in the refrigerator.
4. When you're ready to cook the french toast, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then drizzle the caramel mixture evenly over the entire top. Cover the french toast with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the tin foil and bake another 25-30 minutes, until the top turns a golden brown.
5. Cut into 8 pieces and serve hot. For a little extra sweetness, serve with sugar free syrup.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 2 -3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.