Pear and Vanilla French Toast Bake
Calories 229 (19% from fat)
Fat 5 gram
Saturated Fat 1.3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 50 mg.
Sodium 285 mg.
Carb. 33 gram
Fiber 4.6 gram
Sugar 13.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 13 gram
fat free buttery cooking spray
12 slices of 100% whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
(We used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat.)
10 large egg whites
2 large whole eggs
3/4 cup fat free half & half
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 medium pears (7 oz. each), peeled and chopped
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1/4 cup Splenda
2 Tbsp. light butter
(We used Smart Balance Butter & Canola Oil Blend.)
Sugar Free Syrup
1. Lightly spray a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Cut the bread into cubes. If you like large bread cubes, cut about 9 per slice. If you want to make it easier to serve, cut each slice into at least 16 pieces. Set bread aside.
3. Whisk together the eggs, half & half, vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp. Splenda in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
4. Peel the pears, then cut out the seeds and remove the top. Chop into cubes and set aside.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, then add Splenda brown sugar blend, ¼ cup regular Splenda and butter. Keep stirring until it’s thoroughly blended and melted. Remove pan from heat and stir in the chopped pears. Mix until the pears are coated with the butter and sugar mixture.
6. Layer half the bread mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish, evenly spread the pears over the top of the bread, then arrange the remaining bread on the top.
7. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread and pear layers. Gently press down on the bread with a spatula so the egg mixture soaks in.
8. Cover the French toast with a plastic or aluminum wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, as long as overnight.
9. When you’re ready to cook, remove the French toast from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 40 minutes, or until eggs are set and bread starts to puff up. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 2 - 2.5 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.