Eggs Benedict with Crab
Calories 341 (31% from fat)
Fat 12 gram
Saturated Fat 3.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 435 mg.
Sodium 925 mg.
Carb. 36 gram
Fiber 8.1 gram
Sugar 6.4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 27 gram
1/4 cup fat free half & half
1/4 cup fat free mayo
1/2 Tbsp. lemon Juice
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. light butter
(We used Smart Balance Light Butter with Canola Oil.)
1/2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
4 large eggs
2 multigrain English muffins, toasted
(We used Thomas' Light Multi Grain.)
4 oz. (about 1/2 cup) FRESH lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
Eggs benedict is such a delicious meal, but the fat and calories are ridiculous. Not with this recipe! You can cook four, or even six eggs together in the pan at once if you're serving a couple other people.
This recipe is higher in sodium. If you're on a low sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. Fill a large skillet about 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil. While it's heating up, make the sauce.
2. For the sauce, heat a non-stick sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk together the first six ingredients, half & half through butter until everything is melted and combined. Reduce heat to low and keep it warm.
3. Back to the eggs. When the large skillet of water starts boiling, reduce the heat to simmer. Stir in the white wine vinegar. Break the eggs into a cup, then pour them gently into the skillet. Cook them for 3 minutes. Slightly less if you want more runny yolks and slightly more for firm yolks.
4. While the eggs are cooking, put the English muffins in a toaster. After the muffins are done, put them, cut sides up, on each of two plates. Then divide the crab between the two servings. Make sure to use fresh crab because the canned doesn't have the same taste.
5. When the eggs are done cooking, use a slotted spoon to take them out of the pan, make sure there's no water and gently place them on top of each muffin half. Cover each egg with about 1.5 tablespoons of sauce. Then sprinkle the cut chives over the top and serve.
Yield: 2 Servings