Veggie Puff Casserole
Calories 327 (39% from fat)
Fat 14 gram
Saturated Fat 3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 76 mg.
Sodium 959 mg.
Carb. 29 gram
Fiber 9 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 19 gram
2 10-oz. boxes of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups onion, chopped
buttery cooking spray
2 tsp. garlic, minced
12 large egg whites
3 large whole eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 packages (14 oz each) frozen cauliflower veggie tots
1 cup lowfat mozarella, shredded
1/2 cup lowfat cheddar cheese, shredded
This combines some of the best things in breakfast. Eggs, cheese and a potatoey mixture all baked together. This is a little higher in fat and sodium than our usual recipes, so if you're on a lower fat or reduced sodium diet you should choose something else.
1. Take frozen spinach out of the package and put it in a microwave for about 6 minutes to thaw. (Follow directions on spinach package for thawing if there are any.) Squeeze the spinach very dry when it's finished and set aside.
2. Cut up onion. Heat an 11 or 12 inch oven safe skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray the skillet with buttery cooking spray. Then cook the onion for 4-6 minutes, until it starts to brown. Add the garlic to the onion and cook for another minute.
3. Pour the cooked onion and garlic into a mixing bowl. Stir in the spinach, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir or whisk together until thoroughly combined.
4. Open the first package of frozen cauliflower veggie tots. Lay them in an even layer across the bottom of the oven safe skillet you cooked the onion with.
5. Pour the spinach and egg mixture evenly over the top of the veggie tots.
6. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
7. Lay the second package of frozen cauliflower veggie tots over the top.
8. Put the skillet in the oven and bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
9. Top with the hot sauce of your choice for a little kick. We liked it with Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual servings for easy re-heating later. Make sure they're tightly sealed inside freezer safe containers.
Microwave each serving for approximately 3 to 3.5 minutes and enjoy.