Moroccan Open-face Omelet
Calories 392 (29% from fat)
Fat 12.5 gram
Saturated Fat 2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 186 mg.
Sodium 597 mg.
Carb. 42 gram
Fiber 9 gram
Sugar 12 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 28 gram
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
8 grape tomatoes, halved, or quartered if large
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 clove (1 tsp.) garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
pinch of black pepper
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of ground corriander
pinch of turmeric
1/2 cup low-sodium canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large whole egg
3 large egg whites
buttery cooking spray
3/4 cup baby arugula
1/4 avocado, sliced
This is a light-tasting omelet with a delicious mix of chickpeas, spices and avocado. It also packs in 28 grams of protein and almost half the fiber you should have daily in just 392 calories.
1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Then add the vegetable broth and onion. Cook, occasionally stirring, until the onion softens.
2. Add the next nine ingredients, grape tomatoes, through canned chickpeas to the pan.
3. Cook, occasionally stirring, until the tomatoes start to cook down, about 3-4 minutes. Then transfer everything to a bowl.
4. Wipe the pan, return to the burner on medium heat.
5. Whisk together the whole egg and the egg whites. Lightly coat the non-stick pan with buttery cooking spray and pour the eggs into the pan.
6. Place the arugula on top of the eggs.
7. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until eggs set. Then flip the eggs and cook for 1-2 minutes, until both sides are lightly browned.
8. Put the egg on a plate and cover it with the chickpea, tomato and onion topping. Place slices of avocado on the top and serve.
Yield: 1 Serving