Calories 116 (34% from fat)
Fat 4.3 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 46 mg.
Carb. 17 gram
Fiber 1.1 gram
Sugar 2.7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 4 gram
2 cups strawberries, finely chopped
8 Tbsp. Splenda, divided
(We used the box that measures cup for cup like sugar.)
dash of salt
4 large egg whites
5 Tbsp. water, divided
1 envelope (1 oz.) unflavored gelatin
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 container (8 oz.) sugar free whipped topping, thawed
(We used Sugar Free Cool Whip.)
Two of our tasters liked the flavor, but didn't like the seeds. So we made a version by removing the seeds and they loved it. If you want to remove the seeds, there are two options.
A.You can purchase a strainer called a chinoise and once you've pureed the strawberries (step 1), push them through the chinoise.
B. The second option is a little cheaper. You can line a standard metal strainer with several layers of cheesecloth and pour the puree onto the cheesecloth. Gather the four corners of the cloth and gently squeeze the puree through. The cheesecloth will catch the majority of seeds and the strainer will catch a few more.
1. Take the chopped strawberries and put them in a bowl, mix in 2 tablespoons of the Splenda. Pour the strawberries into a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
2. Place the remaining 6 tablespoons of Splenda in a small sauce pan with a dash of salt. Set aside.
3. Put 4 egg whites in a metal or glass mixing bowl. (Do not use plastic or the eggs may not fluff up.)
The following steps MUST be done quickly and exactly as described.
4. Put 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Use a fork and mix in the gelatin. Then immediately pour the gelatin mixture into the egg whites. Start mixer and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Gelatin and eggs should be thoroughly combined.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the Splenda in the sauce pan. Turn heat on medium high. Stir until Splenda dissolves, then heat until it starts to boil. (About 3-4 minutes.)
6. Turn mixer back on and start beating eggs again. Pour dissolved Splenda into the egg white mixture until thoroughly combined, then beat in the vanilla. Eggs should be making stiff peaks.
7. Fold the Cool Whip into the egg white mixture. Fold the pureed strawberries into the mixture.
8. Fill six serving glasses or bowls with 1 heaping cup of mixture each. Place in the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours until set.
Yield: 6 Servings of 1 Heaping Cup Each