Balsamic Strawberries with Ricotta Cream
Calories 169 (28% from fat)
Fat 5.2 gram
Saturated Fat 3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 19 mg.
Sodium 81 mg.
Carb. 22 gram
Fiber 2.2 gram
Sugar 11 gram
Sugar Alcohol 4.25 gram
Protein 7.8 gram
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. sugar free honey
(We used Honey Tree Sugar Free Honey.)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. Splenda brown sugar blend
1 pound strawberries, quartered with the stem and leaves removed
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, cut into fine ribbons
1. Put the ricotta in a mixing bowl or food processor. Add the honey and vanilla. Process or stir for at least one minute, until the ricotta is smooth. Then refrigerate for two hours.
2. While the ricotta is cooling, combine the vinegar and Splenda brown sugar in a small saucepan. Turn heat up to medium and continue stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stir and cook for three minutes.
4. Pour the vinegar out of the saucepan into a small bowl and let it cool down completely, about 30 minutes.
5. Rinse and cut the strawberries, then put them in a mixing bowl. Cut the basil into ribbons. Once the vinegar is cool, pour it over the strawberries and add the ribbons of basil. Stir everything together.
6. Get out four serving glasses. Split up HALF the strawberry mixture between the four glasses. Then divide ALL the ricotta cheese mixture between the four glasses, putting it on top of the strawberries. Finally cover the ricotta with the remaining strawberry mixture. Each glass will have strawberry, ricotta and strawberry. Garnish with a little basil if you want.
Yield: 4 Servings