Strawberry Cake (Low Sugar)
Calories 395 (50% from fat)
Fat 22 gram
Saturated Fat 8.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 36 mg.
Sodium 632 mg.
Carb. 52 gram
Fiber 2 gram
Sugar 12 gram
Sugar Alcohol 19 gram
Protein 6.6 gram
1 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
2 Tbsp. Splenda or stevia
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
1 box (16 oz.) sugar free yellow cake mix
(We used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Sugar Free Classic Yellow Cake Mix.)
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large egg whites
1 cup strawberry compote (Made in 1st step.)
2 (8-oz.) blocks of lower fat cream cheese, softened
(We used Philadelphia 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese.)
1/4 cup lower fat butter, softened
1/2 cup strawberry compote (Made in 1st step.)
5 cups Splenda or stevia
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh strawberries for garnish (Optional)
This recipe started from a challenge. A friend wanted strawberry cake for her birthday, but she wanted it to be lower in calories and low in sugar. The typical recipe we found had about 630 calories per slice and almost 50 grams of sugar! So we started experimenting.
After more than a dozen tries, we figured it out. There's a lot of stuff going on with this recipe, but we cut the calories nearly in half and reduced the sugar an amazing 5 times. Meanwhile, it's still delicious and the party guests quickly ate every slice. Don't serve this because it's healthy. Serve it because it tastes great and people will love it. .
1. Put the strawberries, Splenda (or stevia) and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Puree them and pour them into a non-stick sauce pan. Set heat to medium-low. Stir often and cook, 25 to 30 minutes, until the strawberry compote reduces by about half.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Lightly spray two 8-inch round cake pans with buttery spray. Then sprinkle a tablespoon of whole-wheat flour in each pan and lightly dust them.
CAKE MIX - FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, NOT WHAT'S ON THE BOX!
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, 1/4 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 large egg whites and 1 cup of the strawberry compote you made in STEP 1.
4. Divide the cake mix evenly between the two pans. Then put the pans in the oven and bake for 34 to 38 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. When the cakes are finished, take them out of the oven and set them on a wire rack to cool.
6. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer, until no lumps remain.
7. Mix in the 1/2 cup of strawberry compote, Splenda or stevia and powdered sugar until fully incorporated.
8. Then use the mixer to beat in the heavy cream, vanilla and salt. Add more heavy cream until it meets your desired consistency.
9. Flip the first cake out of the pan onto a serving dish and spread a thick layer of frosting on it. Top with the second layer of cake, then frost the top and sides. Garnish with a few sliced fresh strawberries. Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve it.
Yield: 10 Servings