Calories 284 (20% from fat)
Fat 6.3 gram
Saturated Fat 1.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 24 mg.
Sodium 322 mg.
Carb. 39 gram
Fiber 11.6 gram
Sugar 15 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 20 gram
2 large eggplants, peeled
(We chose eggplants that weigh approximately 1.25 lbs. each.)
6 egg whites
1 1/2 cups Quaker 1 Minute Oatmeal
fat-free cooking spray
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
(Approximately 1 medium onion.)
4 portabello mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 large basil leaves, chopped
1 bag (6 oz.) fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 cans (14.5 oz. per can) no salt added diced tomatoes
2 tsp. ground pepper
1 3/4 cups (15 oz.) fat free ricotta cheese
6 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel the eggplant and cut into 1 inch slices. You should get 8 slices from each eggplant. (Cut it in half, then cut each piece in half, then cut the remaining pieces in half again.) Next dip the eggplant slices into a bowl of egg whites and then into another bowl with the oatmeal in it. Coat each slice with the oatmeal.
3. Lightly coat a baking sheet with fat-free cooking spray and arrange the eggplant slices in it. Put the sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
4. In a LARGE non-stick frying pan (or even a non-stick pot) pour in the extra virgin olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, basil, spinach and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5.Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with fat-free cooking spray. Make 1 layer of the eggplant using 8 slices for the layer. Mix any remaining egg whites into the mushroom sauce/spinach mixture, then pour half the mushroom sauce/spinach mixture on everything and spread evenly. Use a fork and sprinkle out the ricotta cheese evenly on the top. Spread the ground pepper all over.
6. Now make another layer of eggplant using the remaining 8 slices and pour the remaining mushroom sauce/spinach mixture evenly over that. Dust it with the fresh Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake the lasagna uncovered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice into 6 servings and enjoy.
Yield: 6 Servings
This recipe was created by Charles Nuedling - Personal Chef
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe tupperware containers.
When you heat them up, microwave for approximately 5 minutes, keeping the bag or container open just a little to allow steam to escape. Then stir it up and put back in the microwave for an additional 4 minutes.