Calories 563 (16% from fat)
Fat 10.1 gram
Saturated Fat 2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 63 mg.
Sodium 414 mg.
Carb. 72 gram
Fiber 7.6 gram
Sugar 17 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 43 gram
1 cup dry whole grain brown rice
2 Tbsp. orange zest
juice from 6 oranges (1.5 cups fresh squeezed orange juice)
2 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp. dry sherry or rice wine
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. Splenda
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, diced
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. dried red pepper, diced
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 lb. top round beef
3 tsp. canola oil, divided
1/3 cup water
2 lbs. broccoli (6 cups) cut into small florets
1. Start by cooking 1 cup of dry brown rice by following the directions on the package. If it's a slow cooking rice, prepare the ingredients in step 2 and cut the meat in step 4 while it's cooking. About 10 minutes before your rice is done, begin cooking the sauce in step 3.
2. In a medium sized bowl stir together the next 7 ingredients, orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, dry sherry, sugar, Splenda and cornstarch. That's the orange mixture. After it's combined, set aside. In another bowl mix the next 6 ingredients together, bell pepper, dried pepper, onion, green onion, garlic and ginger; that's the vegetable bowl.
3. Pour the orange mixture into a non-stick sauce pan and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the sauce begins to thicken, about 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Cut the meat into 2 x 2 inch square pieces, being careful to cut off any visible fat. Heat half the canola oil in a non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook the meat by stir-frying only until it's no longer pink on the outside, about 1-2 minutes. Dump the meat onto a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
5. Add the remaining oil to the pan until it's hot, then pour in the vegetable bowl. Stir-fry them for about 30 seconds, then add the water and broccoli. Reduce heat to medium, cover and steam until the water evaporates, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
6. Add the beef back in with the vegetables. Divide the orange sauce and stir half of it in with the beef and vegetables, then mix until everything is thoroughly coated. Use the other half of the orange sauce as a topping for the rice. Divide everything into four servings and enjoy.
Yield: 4 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe containers.
Microwave for approximately 3-5 minutes, keeping the container open just a little to allow steam to escape.