Chicken Pot Pie
Calories 309 (15% from fat)
Fat 5 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 77 mg.
Sodium 222 mg.
Carb. 28 gram
Fiber 4.7 gram
Sugar 10 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 38 gram
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1.75 lbs. chicken, cooked and cubed
1 medium onion (1 cup), chopped
2 cloves (2 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cups whole wheat bread (about 3 slices), cubed
1. Warm a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chicken. Cook the chicken until it's lightly browned on both sides. Then remove from the pan, cut it into cubes and set aside.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Heat the same pan you cooked the chicken in, without cleaning it. Then add the onion and garlic and sauté them for 2 minutes. Next add the celery, mushrooms and bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables start turning tender, about 4 more minutes. Stir the carrots and peas into the mix and continue cooking for another 4-6 minutes.
4. Add the water and skim milk. Then mix in the flour, poultry seasoning and black pepper. Continue stirring until the vegetables and sauce start to thicken. Now pour the cubed chicken back in, mix together and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Pour the filling into a 2-quart baking dish and top with the cubed bread. Bake in the 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the bread begins to brown.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe containers.
Microwave for approximately 2-4 minutes, keeping the container open just a little to allow steam to escape.