Chicken and Sourdough Stuffing - Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
Calories 484 (27% from fat)
Fat 14 gram
Saturated Fat 2.9 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 227 mg.
Sodium 550 mg.
Carb. 23 gram
Fiber 2.3 gram
Sugar 3 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 62 gram
6 tsp. lemon peel, finely shredded
(Set aside 1 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. sage, ground
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. No Salt (salt free alternative)
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
8 small chicken thighs (about 5 lbs.), skinned
fat free olive oil spray
4 cups mushrooms, quartered or sliced
(cremini, baby portobello, shiitake or button)
4 cloves (4 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 cup water
4 packets (.15 oz each) Herb ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
8 cups (about 10 oz.) sourdough baguette, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup carrot, coarsely shredded
4 Tbsp. toasted walnuts, chopped
3 Tbsp. flat leaf italian parsley, chopped
2. Place the chicken in the crock pot, lightly seasoning each piece with a sprinkle of the lemon/sage combination until you've used 3/4 of the mixture.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly coat pan with olive oil spray and add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir until the mushrooms start to get tender, about 5 minutes. Stir the 1/4 remaining lemon/sage seasoning that you set aside into the pan of cooked mushrooms and garlic.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the cup of water and packets of Herb Ox Chicken Bouillon.
5. In a large bowl, place the 8 cups of sourdough bread and mix in the mushrooms. Then pour the water and Herb Ox chicken Bouillon over the top. Add the shredded carrots and stir it all together.
6. Lightly pack the sourdough stuffing mixture on top of the chicken. Cover, turn heat up to high and let cook for 4-5 hours.
7. When you're ready to serve, mix together the set aside teaspoon of lemon peel with the walnut and chopped parsley. Then sprinkle about 1.5 teaspoons of the walnut topping over each of the chicken pieces and serve with the sourdough stuffing.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them in freezer safe containers.
Microwave for approximately 2-4 minutes, keeping the container open just a little to allow steam to escape.