Chicken Cordon Bleu with Avocado
Calories 373 (24% from fat)
Fat 10 gram
Saturated Fat 2.8 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 134 mg.
Sodium 1243 mg.
Carb. 7.6 gram
Fiber 1.5 gram
Sugar 3 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 58 gram
2 chicken breasts (5.5 oz each), boneless, skinless, pounded to 1/2 an inch of thickness
fat free vegetable oil spray
4 slices (4 oz.) extra lean ham luncheon meat
2 oz. fat free feta cheese
(We used President Fat Free Feta.)
2 large slices (1 oz. each) fresh tomato
4 slices (1/4 cup) of avocado
2 slices (approx. 0.6 oz. each) reduced fat provolone cheese
3 tsp. Spicy brown mustard
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash chicken, pat it dry and cut off the visible fat. Then pound the chicken until it's about 1/2 an inch thick. (I like using a frying pan to flatten it. To prevent pieces of chicken getting loose, you might want to flatten it while inside a plastic bag.)
2. Heat two pans over medium heat on the stove. Spray one with fat free cooking spray and sauté the chicken until it's brown on both sides. While chicken is cooking, sear the ham in the other pan until it's lightly browned on each side. As each one gets finished, set them aside.
3. On a baking sheet, place a serving (5.5 oz.) of browned chicken. On top of that, crumble the feta cheese, then lay on the tomato, followed by the browned ham, the avocado and finally a slice of the provolone cheese.
4. Bake the chicken in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown and the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. When finished, top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons of spicy mustard or fat free honey mustard.
Yield: 2 Servings