Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
Calories 440 (11% from fat)
Fat 5.4 gram
Saturated Fat 1.7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 124 mg.
Sodium 926 mg.
Carb. 40 gram
Fiber 6.2 gram
Sugar 11 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 55 gram
butter flavored cooking spray
1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. no salt sodium free alternative
2 lbs. boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1 large onion (2 cups), chopped
4 cloves garlic (4 tsp.), chopped
1 1/4 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 green pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
2 cups (or a 14.5 oz. can) of reduced-sodium chicken broth
1. Lightly coat a slow cooker with butter flavored cooking spray. Then in a small bowl combine the chili powder, oregano, salt and no salt.
2. Put the cut up pork chops in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the spices over top the pork, a little at a time, then mix it up. The idea is to thoroughly coat every surface of the pork. Once it's all coated, put the pork in the slow cooker.
3. Layer each of the items, one on top of the other in the slow cooker. Start with the onion, then the garlic, the sweet potatoes and finally the green pepper. Pour the broth over top of everything.
4. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
5. Serve with a side of cornbread or whole wheat bread.
Yield: 4 Servings - But can easily be divided into 6 servings.
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.