Ginger Chicken Stir Fry with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Calories 263 (21% from fat)
Fat 6 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 44 mg.
Sodium 532 mg.
Carb. 36 gram
Fiber 3.4 gram
Sugar 4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 23 gram
Protein 23.6 gram
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup sugar free honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
1 cup onion, chopped
16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
This recipe is from a McCormick spice advertisement. We made a couple small changes to increase the fiber and reduce the sugar. You're going to love the result.
Careful, the sodium is a little higher than we'd like. If you're on a low sodium diet you might want to consider another option.
1. Cut the chicken into 3/4 inch chunks. Then put the flour in a bowl with the chicken and shake to coat thoroughly. Take the chicken out of the bowl and set aside.
2. Start heating a large non-stick pan or wok over medium high heat.
3. With the remaining flour in the bowl, add the low-sodium chicken stock, sugar free honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder and red pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil in the non-stick pan, then add the chicken. Stir-fry for approximately 5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the pan or wok.
5. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the non-stick pan and pour in the vegetables. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes, until they start to get tender.
6. Stir the stock mixture again and add it to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring constantly, as it’s brought to a boil. Then add the corn starch, keep boiling and stirring for 2 more minutes until it thickens.
7. Mix in the chicken and stir-fry until it’s heated through, approximately 2-3 more minutes. Serve and enjoy. This is complemented well with a side of brown rice.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.