Calories 279 (30% from fat)
Fat 9 gram
Saturated Fat 2.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 71 mg.
Sodium 373 mg.
Carb. 18 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 28.6 gram
1 large head of chopped cauliflower, steamed (about 5 cups cooked)
olive oil spray
3-5 Tbsp. fat free milk
1 cup fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
20 oz. 93% lean ground turkey breast
1/2 cup no salt added tomato paste
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp. Whole wheat flour
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
This is a very healthy alternative to traditional shepherd's pie recipes. For a little extra kick, spinkle on chipotle chili powder or crushed red pepper.
1. Cut cauliflower off stem and break into smaller trimmed and cleaned florets. Heat frying pan with 1/2 inch of water to boiling. Then add cauliflower and steam for 6-8 minutes, until soft. Pour water out and set cauliflower aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat 9.5 x 9.5 inch baking dish with olive oil spray. (We used an oval baking dish that was 11 x 8.5.)
3. Drop the cauliflower and milk into a food processor and blend until smooth. Start with 3 tablespoons of milk and add more if necessary. It should be smooth after about a minute. Pour into bowl and stir in cheddar cheese. Set aside.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Once hot, lightly coat with olive oil spray. Add ground turkey, break it up into small pieces and cook until browned. Pour out grease and set aside.
5. Reduce frying pan heat to medium, then lightly coat with olive oil spray. Add tomato paste, thyme and flour, stirring together to make a paste. Then add the chicken broth, stirring and cooking for 1-2 minutes until everything is combined.
6. Add the ground turkey, diced tomatoes and onions to the pan and stir until everything is combined. Add ground pepper to taste. Once it's combined, pour it into the baking dish and level everything out. Cover with the cauliflower mixture and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn on broiler and broil for an additional 4-7 minutes, or until golden brown on top. (Watch closely.)
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.