Broccoli Chicken Casserole
Calories 317 (29% from fat)
Fat 10 gram
Saturated Fat 4.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 59 mg.
Sodium 475 mg.
Carb. 26 gram
Fiber 3.3 gram
Sugar 2 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 33 gram
olive oil spray
1 pound chicken breast
3/4 cup water
2 cups cooked brown rice
(We used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown, one 8.8 oz container.)
1 pound broccoli
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
1 1/4 cups reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded and divided
2 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
Top with Chutney or Sugar Free Marmalade
Our favorite version of this recipe has a couple tablespoons of sugar free marmalade dropped on the top.
1. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, lightly coat with olive oil spray. Pat the chicken breast dry and add to the pan. Cook for five minutes until one side is golden brown. Then flip the chicken, add 3/4 cup of water to the pan, cover and let simmer over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. (Chicken will register 160 degrees Fahrenheit on a thermometer when cooked.)
2. Take chicken out of the pan and put in a bowl. Use two forks to hold and shred the chicken.
3. Cook brown rice per package instructions. If using Uncle Ben's, simply open top slightly then heat in microwave for 90 seconds. Pour cooked rice over top the chicken.
4. Chop broccoli and add it to the bowl. Toss in water chestnuts. Stir everything together and set aside.
5. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, almond milk, garlic powder, garlic salt, thyme and corn starch. Once thoroughly combined, stir in the 1/2 cup of mozzarella and just ONE CUP of the cheddar.
6. Pour yogurt mixture over top the chicken and broccoli and stir together until combined.
7. Lightly grease a 13x9 casserole dish with olive oil spray. Pour the mixture into the dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese over the top. Then sprinkle panko over that.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.