Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
Calories 485 (31% from fat)
Fat 17 gram
Saturated Fat 7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 70 mg.
Sodium 1443 mg.
Carb. 43 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 41.7 gram
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fried and shredded
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers
(We used Ortega Fire Roasted Diced Green Chiles.)
1 oz. package reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups (16 oz.) low-fat cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
1 can (10 oz) red chile enchilada sauce
One of our tasting panel said, “This tastes just like the enchiladas I order at my favorite Mexican restaurant. Absolutely delicious!”
1. Warm a non-stick pan over medium heat. Then lightly coat with fat-free cooking spray. Cook the chicken breasts, about 7-8 minutes on each side. Once the chicken is browned, remove from heat and use two forks to shred it.
2. Put the shredded chicken back in the pan over medium heat. Mix in the onion, green chiles and taco seasoning mix. Stir everything together and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Make cheese mixture by combining the sour cream, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with buttery spray. Heat a small pan over medium heat. Then heat the tortillas, about 30 seconds on each side, until soft.
6. Assemble the enchiladas. Put a spoonful of meat mixture, cheese mixture and a sprinkle of shredded cheese in each tortilla. Roll the tortillas and place them in the baking dish.
7. Over the top spread any remaining meat, cheese mixture and half the shredded cheese. Spread the enchilada sauce over the top and then sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over everything else.
8. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Yield: 6 Servings - Each Serving is 2 Enchiladas
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.