Baked Beans and Veggie Sausage
Calories 427 (12% from fat)
Fat 5.5 gram
Saturated Fat 0.4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 1213 mg.
Carb. 67 gram
Fiber 12 gram
Sugar 20 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 29 gram
1 1/2 pounds vegetarian sausage
(We used Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Grain Meal Sausages.)
non-stick buttery cooking spray
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz.) vegetarian baked beans
(We used Bush's Best Vegetarian Baked Beans.)
1 can (16 oz.) reduced sodium kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15.5 oz.) reduced sodium great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15.5 oz.) reduced sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (16 oz.) reduced sodium garbanzos (chick peas), drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups sugar free ketchup
(We used G. Hughes Sugar Free Ketchup.)
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
2 tsp. ground mustard
This is a baked bean recipe you can get excited about. All the different beans elevate the taste to something special. Bring it to a potluck and it’ll disappear fast with a lot of people asking for the recipe.
1. Remove the sausage from the plastic casing. Cut it in half lengthwise, then chop it into 1-inch thick slices.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, lightly coat it with non-stick buttery cooking spray. Put the veggie sausage in the pan and sauté until it turns a light brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Lightly grease the pan again with the buttery cooking spray. Add the bell pepper and onion, then sauté for 6-8 minutes until tender.
4. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together. Then lightly grease a DEEP 9x13 baking dish. Pour all the ingredients into the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
6. After 1 hour, remove the cover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes longer until beans start to bubble. Divide into 12 servings. You can divide it into more servings if you’re just using it as a side dish.
Yield: 12 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.