Brown Rice Mulligatawny
Calories 221 (18% from fat)
Fat 4 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 54 mg.
Sodium 638 mg.
Carb. 20.5 gram
Fiber 2.6 gram
Sugar 5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 24 gram
buttery cooking spray
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 garlic clove (1 tsp.), minced
2 Tbsp. white-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. turmeric
1 carton (32 oz. or 4 cups) reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
1 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 medium sweet apple (We used Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples.), peeled, core removed and chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
1/8 tsp. dried thyme
5 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
5 Tbsp. green onion or chives, chopped
This is a hearty soup from India that tastes great with bread or our Peach and Yellow Tomato Gazpacho soup.
This recipe is a little higher in sodium. If you're on a low sodium diet, you should consider another option.
1. Chop the vegetables and have them prepared.
2. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, lightly coat with buttery cooking spray, then add the olive oil. Stir in the celery, onion and carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
3. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, then cook for another minute.
4. Stir in the flour, curry powder, cayenne pepper and turmeric. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, raise heat to medium high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Once it’s boiling, add the rice. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pan for 45-50 minutes or until the rice is tender.
6. While the rice is cooking, heat another non-stick pan over medium heat. Once it’s hot, lightly coat the pan with buttery cooking spray and cook the cubed chicken for 9-12 minutes, until it’s browned.
7. When the rice is tender, stir in the chicken, spinach, apple, salt, pepper and thyme. Raise heat to medium, then cook uncovered for 4-6 minutes until it’s heated through and the spinach is wilted.
8. Divide into 5 servings. Top each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream. You can also sprinkle a tablespoon of green onion or chives over the top.
Yield: 5 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later. DO NOT freeze with the sour cream.
Microwave for approximately 3-5 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape. Add a tablespoon of fat free sour cream over the top only after it's been re-heated.