Calories 379 (23% from fat)
Fat 10 gram
Saturated Fat 2 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 147 mg.
Sodium 526 mg.
Carb. 40 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 35 gram
buttery cooking spray
2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. coriander, ground
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 tsp. garlic, minced
2 cups baking potato, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tsp. salt
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
3 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
(We used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown.)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
This is a classic Indian dish that's really simple to make. If you're interested in trying Indian food, this is a great option to start with. The original version of this recipe appeard on MyRecipes.com.
1. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, lightly coat it with buttery cooking spray. Then add the chicken and saute for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Once browned, pour it into a slow cooker.
2. Lightly coat the pan again with buttery cooking spray, then add the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the next 6 ingredients, ginger, curry powder, coriander, cumin, crushed red pepper and garlic. Saute for another 2 minutes, then pour the onion mixture in the slow cooker.
3. Stir the potato, salt and diced tomatoes into the slow cooker. Then add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
5. After 6 hours, remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Turn the slow cooker off and let stand for 15 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes of standing, heat the rice up (if you are using the Uncle Bens pouches.) That way the rice is hot when the chicken is ready.
7. Stir the yogurt into the chicken. Put 1/2 cup of rice on the plate and put chicken mixture over the top. If you like cilantro, sprinkle some over the top and serve.
Yield: 6 Servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3 - 3.5 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.