Baked Spaghetti Pie - Vegetarian
Calories 315 (25% from fat)
Fat 9 gram
Saturated Fat 1.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 50 mg.
Sodium 137 mg.
Carb. 50 gram
Fiber 7.6 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 12 gram
1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb.), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 pints (about 6 cups) cherry tomatoes
8 galic cloves (8 tsp.), minced
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large whole eggs
3 egg whites
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
5 oz. (15 Tablespoons) reduce fat Parmesan cheese, finely grated
(We used Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping.)
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, divided
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp. capers, drained
1/2 cup fresh basil, torn, plus a few whole leaves
A heaping pile of spaghetti is comfort food. Make it with this recipe and it's a healthy option too.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large oven safe pan (cast iron is good) mix together the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. (Keep 1 tablespoon of olive oil for later.)
3. Toss to combine the vegetables, put them in the oven and roast them for 25-35 minutes. The tomatoes will burst and the eggplant will be tender.
4. Once the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole eggs and egg whites. Then whisk in the tomato paste. Finally whisk in 10 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. (Save the remaining Parmesan cheese for later.) Set this Parmesan mixture aside.
6. Bring 16 cups of water to a boil. Then add the spaghetti and boil. Stir regularly for 8-10 minutes, until the spaghetti is cooked.
7. Pour the saghetti into a strainer to drain the water away. Then put it back into the pot you cooked it in and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat the spaghetti.
8. Use a pair of tongs and mix the vegetables from earlier, Parmesan mixture, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, capers and fresh basil (except the few whole leaves) into the spaghetti. Keep mixing until all the ingredients are combined.
9. Pour the pasta mixture into the oven safe skillet and press down until it's all in a single layer. Sprinkle the remaining 5 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and basil leaves over the top. If you want it spicier, you can sprinkle a few more red pepper flakes over the top.
10. Reduce heat in oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake until it's nicely browned, approximately 30-35 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes when finished, then slice into 8 wedges to serve or freeze for later.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 3.5 - 4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.