Chicken à la King
(This breakdown does NOT include rice or toast. You must add whichever one you choose.)
Calories 276 (23% from fat)
Fat 7 gram
Saturated Fat 1.6 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 57 mg.
Sodium 573 mg.
Carb. 22 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 30 gram
1 1/4 pounds chicken, lightly browned and cubed
buttery cooking spray
1/2 cup light butter
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
1 1/2 cups fat free milk
(We used Fairlife Fat Free Milk because it's lower in sugar and higher in protein.)
1 1/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup fat free sour cream
1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas
1 jar (2 oz.) diced pimientos, drained
This is a classic comfort food. It's a great recipe to use with leftover chicken or turkey. Serve it over rice, toast or noodles.
1. Cut up chicken into bite-sized cubes.
2. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with buttery cooking spray. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned. This takes about 10 minutes. When finished, put chicken on a plate and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in the pan over medium-high heat. Then add the bell pepper, onion, celery and mushrooms. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the bell peppers are crisp-tender.
4. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.
5. Stir in the milk, broth and sour cream. Keep stirring until it's mixed and begins to bubble, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Mix in the chicken, peas and pimientos. Keep cooking and stirring until everything is hot.
7. When finished, serve over rice, toast or noodles.
8. One serving is a full cup. Our tasting panel preferred each serving over two slices of toast.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.