Orecchiette Baked Pasta
Calories 468 (28% from fat)
Fat 15 gram
Saturated Fat 5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 13 mg.
Sodium 519 mg.
Carb. 62 gram
Fiber 10 gram
Sugar 9 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 24 gram
buttery cooking spray
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 bell peppers, diced (Your choice of colors.)
2 cups onion, sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
3 garlic cloves (3 tsp.), minced
1 can (28 oz.) no salt added crushed tomatoes
1 can (14 oz.) reduced sodium diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. tomato paste, no salt added
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme, ground
14 oz. spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
(We used Beyond Sausage Hot Italian Vegetarian Sausage.)
6 quarts (24 cups) water
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. basil, chopped
1 pound (16 oz.) orecchiette pasta (dry)
3 cups arugula, chopped
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
The orecchiette pasta is mixed with cheese and baked into a delicious dinner. You can freeze the leftovers for quick meals anytime.
1. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish and set it aside.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, bell peppers and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften.
3. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Then add the next six ingredients, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Stir together and bring sauce to a boil. Then simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring, while you prepare the sausage.
4. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly coat the pan with buttery cooking spray, then add the sausage with the casings removed. Cook while stirring and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon or spatula. Keep stirring until the sausage is browned, about 6-7 minutes.
5. Fill a large pot with the water, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
6. Once the sausage is ready, add it to the sauce and stir the basil in with it. Keep simmering for another 10-12 minutes.
7. Add the pasta to the pot of boiling water. Cook, occasionally stirring for 12 minutes. Do this while the sauce is simmering.
8. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and put it back in the empty pasta pot. Add 1/2 a cup of the cheese on top of the pasta and stir to coat. (Save the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese for the topping.)
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Pour the sauce mixture over the pasta. Add the arugula and stir everything together.
11. Pour everything into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
12. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese starts to bubble.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3 - 3 1/2 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.