Spaghetti "Chicken" Casserole
Calories 334 (33% from fat)
Fat 12 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 19 mg.
Sodium 351 mg.
Carb. 40 gram
Fiber 8 gram
Sugar 4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 20 gram
24 cups water
1 tsp. salt
buttery cooking spray
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cups onion, diced
1 pound (16 ounces) whole grain spaghetti
1 can (14.5 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes
2 packages (8 ounces each) plant-based chicken
(We used Mindful Chik'n Strips Plant-Based Protein Vegan.)
2 cans (10.5 ounces each) lower sodium cream of mushroom soup
(We used Campbell's Unsalted Cream of Mushroom Soup.)
1 cup unsalted vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
(A vegetarian version is available.)
1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 or 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
We took a classic and turned it vegetarian. It's a creamy, cheesy, comfort meal.
1. Fill a large pot with 24 cups (about 5 quarts) of water. Add salt and heat it up to boiling.
2. Lightly coat a 13x9 casserole dish with buttery cooking spray. Set aside.
3. While the water is heating up, dice up the red bell peppers, green bell peppers and onion.
4. Once the water is boiling, take the spaghetti and break them into three parts. Then add the spaghetti to the pot and stir occasionally, for about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
5. While the spaghetti is cooking, heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and stir in the bell peppers and onion. Cook while stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Stir the thawed Chik'n Strips, cream of mushroom soup, and vegetable stock into the bell pepper and onion mixture; then cook for another 2 minutes.
8. Turn the stove off. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and taste, adding a little more if needed.
9. Stir in the cup of reduced-fat cheddar cheese. Then stir in the spaghetti noodles. If the pan is too small to hold it all, transfer everything to a large mixing bowl and combine it all.
10. If you want it a little spicy, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and mix in.
11. Pour everything into the casserole dish and sprinkle the cup and a half of sharp cheddar cheese over the top.
12. Bake until bubbly, about 45 minutes. If the cheese starts to brown early, cover with aluminum foil around the 30-minute mark and take it out at 45 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting it into 12 servings.
Yield: 12 Servings