Southwest Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole
Calories 240 (30% from fat)
Fat 8 gram
Saturated Fat 3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 15 mg.
Sodium 552 mg.
Carb. 35 gram
Fiber 6 gram
Sugar 3 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 13 gram
buttery cooking spray
1 cup onion, diced
2 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves (3 tsp.) garlic, minced
1 can (7 oz.) mild green chiles, diced
3/4 cup dry brown or green lentils
3/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
1 can (10 oz.) Red Chile Enchilada Sauce
2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) fire roasted tomatoes, diced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 cups lowfat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
1 cup diced tomatoes
This casserole can be spicy or mild, depending on how hot the green chiles and enchilada sauce are. You can even kick it up another level by adding some cayenne pepper to the mix.
It's easy to make. You saute the onions and garlic, then everything else gets mixed together and baked.
1. Lightly coat a 13 x 9 casserole dish with buttery cooking spray, then set aside.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. While it's heating up, dice the onions.
3. Add the olive oil to the pan, then the onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the onions are soft. Then add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
4. Pour the onions and garlic into the casserole dish.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Add all the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish, EXCEPT the cheese, cilantro or parsley and tomatoes. Stir together until well combined, then cover with aluminum foil.
7. Bake the casserole for 100 minutes, stirring everything once halfway through the baking time.
8. Remove the foil and sprinkle on the cheese. Then bake another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
9. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
10. Top with cilantro or parsley and diced tomatoes if you want. Divide into 8 servings and enjoy.
Yield: 8 Servings