Calories 418 (45% from fat)
Fat 21 gram
Saturated Fat 12 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 49 mg.
Sodium 656 mg.
Carb. 35 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 29 gram
1 1/3 cups sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cups (8 oz.) fresh mushrooms, sliced (We used BabyBella Mushrooms.)
3 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
5 cups cubed whole wheat bread
buttery cooking spray
1 bag (10 oz) vegetarian beef crumbles
(We used Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Crumbles Feisty.)
8 large egg whites
2 large whole eggs
1 cup fat free half & half
1/4 tsp. No Salt Sodium Free Alternative
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 carton (8 oz.) mascarpone cheese
1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) fat free feta cheese, crumbled
(We used President Feta Crumbles Mediterranean Herbs Fat Free.)
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) Asiago cheese, shredded
1 cup sugar free apricot preserves
(We used Smucker's Sugar Free Apricot Preserves.)
This is higher in fat than our typical recipe, but it blends a nice mix of sweet and savory. Enjoy for any meal of the day.
1. Prepare the onion, mushrooms, spinach and bread.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Lightly coat the pan with buttery cooking spray, cook the beef crumbles for three minutes, and then put them in a large mixing bowl.
3. Increase the heat in the pan to medium-high. Lightly coat again with buttery cooking spray. Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Pour them into the bowl with the beef crumbles.
4. Lightly coat the pan again and add the mushrooms. Stir for 2-3 minutes, cooking until tender. Then add the spinach and cook for 30-45 seconds, until wilted. Add the mushrooms and spinach to the bowl.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs into the bowl and toss to combine. Pour them all into a greased 13x9 pan.
6. In another large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, whole eggs, half and half, No Salt and pepper.
7. Beat in the mascarpone cheese just until blended and pour it over the bread.
8. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top. Then the feta and the Asiago. Spoon the apricot preserves over the top.
9. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
10. Remove the strata from the refrigerator and let it warm up while you preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Bake, uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.