Frittata Provencal Slow Cooker
Calories 233 (28% from fat)
Fat 7 gram
Saturated Fat 3.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 48 mg.
Sodium 266 mg.
Carb. 25 gram
Fiber 3 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 17 gram
1/2 cup water
buttery cooking spray
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pound Yukon gold potato, peeled and sliced
(That's about 7 petite Yukon Gold potatoes.)
2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
16 large egg whites
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp. No Salt Sodium Free Alternative
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 log (4 oz.) fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled, divided
1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes
(NOT the sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. We got them in a bag.)
This recipe requires something unusual. You need a baking dish that will fit INSIDE a slow cooker. The slow cooker we used was a 6 quart slow cooker, 8.5 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
The baking dish that sat inside was 6.5 inches wide and 8.5 inches long, about 1 1/2 quarts. A smaller baking dish won't be large enough to hold all the ingredients. When you add the ingredients, you need at least half an inch of space at the top since it will expand a little as it cooks.
1. You can skip the first three steps if you have a grate that sits in the bottom of your crock pot. Otherwise, get two pieces of aluminum 24 inches long.
2. Fold the aluminum sheets into strips 1 inch wide.
3. Coil the strips and place them in the bottom of the crock pot. This is a rack for the baking dish.
4. Add half a cup of water to the crock pot. Then lightly coat the baking dish with buttery cooking spray and set it aside.
5. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, potato and onion. Cook and stir for about 5-7 minutes, until potato is lightly browned.
6. Stir in the paprika, then transfer everything to the baking dish. (A 1 1/2 quart size baking dish works nicely.) This is the dish that must fit inside the slow cooker.
7. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, whole eggs, thyme, pepper sauce, No Salt and black pepper.
8. Stir in 2 ounces (half) of the goat cheese. (An immersion blender is fantastic for mixing this all together.) Pour this over the potato mixture into the baking dish.
9. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and remaining goat cheese. Place the baking dish on the rack you've prepared in the slow cooker.
10. Cover and cook on low for about 3-4 hours, until eggs are set, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.