Slow Cooker Chicken and Basmati Rice
Calories 480 (12% from fat)
Fat 6.5 gram
Saturated Fat 1 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 99 mg.
Sodium 1358 mg.
Carb. 64 gram
Fiber 3.5 gram
Sugar 9 gram
Sugar Alcohol 11 gram
Protein 45 gram
4 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts with rib meat
4 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1/2 cup sugar free honey
(We used Honey Tree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
6 oz. tomato paste
4 oz. jar of red chili paste
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup liquid aminos
4 Tbsp. sesame seeds
2 cups parsley
4 cups (12 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
4 cups broccoli, chopped
1 can (14 oz.) whole baby corn, drained and chopped
1 can (5 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and sliced
1 cup of scallions, chopped
5 1/4 cups water
3 cups dry basmati rice
OPTIONAL RICE ENHANCERS
2 Tbsp. dried basil
2 tsp. clove, ground
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup of scallions, chopped
This has a delicious combination of savory flavors that pack in 45 grams of protein per serving. You will need to make it in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker to fit everything in the pot.
1. Put all the ingredients except the last five (flour, scallions, sesame seeds, basmati and water) into a 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the chicken breasts and shred them. (I like to shred it with two forks.)
4. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot and mix it together.
5. Cover and cook on low for 1-2 more hours.
6. About 45 minutes before the food is finished, start preparing the rice.
7. Put the water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
8. Stir in the rice and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. (You can add 2 tablespoons of basil, 2 teaspoons of ground clove and 2 teaspoons of salt to enhance the flavor.)
9. Place 3/4 cup of rice on a plate with 1 cup of the chicken mixture per serving. Sprinkle with scallions and serve.
Yield: 12 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 3-4 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.