Pork Chops Puttanesca
Calories 400 (29% from fat)
Fat 13 gram
Saturated Fat 2.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 129 mg.
Sodium 882 mg.
Carb. 10 gram
Fiber 1.5 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 53 gram
3 cloves (3 tsp.) garlic, minced and divided
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 pork chops (2 pounds lean pork loin boneless chops)
1 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 cup ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
4 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and mashed
2 Tbsp. pitted oil-cured black olives, chopped
1 Tbsp. capers in vinegar, drained
1 1/2 Tbsp. golden raisins
1/2 cup red wine (We used merlot.)
olive oil spray
The puttanesca sauce is the star of this dish, with a bold and tangy flavor that gives it the perfect amount of acidity and saltiness. You can add some fresh oregano or parsley over the top as a garnish if you wish.
The original version of this recipe was by Florence Fabricant of the New York Times.
1. Combine ONE teaspoon of the garlic, oregano, ONE QUARTER teaspoon chile flakes and salt in a small bowl. Use the back of a spoon to mash them together.
2. Stir in ONE tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar. Spread this mixture on both sides of the pork and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the remaining ONE tablespoon of oil and onion. Saute until the onion starts to turn translucent.
5. Stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons of garlic, tomatoes, anchovies, remaining chile flakes, olives, capers and raisings. Stir in the red wine and cook on low until the mixture is thick about 8-10 minutes. Then set aside.
6. Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, lightly coat the pan with olive oil spray. Add the pork chops and cook until they're lightly browned but not cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Transfer pork chops to a baking dish and cover with the tomato mixture.
8. Put in the oven for 40 minutes if you want them to come out medium; or 45-55 minutes for well done.
9. Serve with the juices from the baking dish poured over each. Add some vegetables for a well-balanced meal.
Yield: 4 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave on high for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.