Mac and Cheese With Cottage Cheese
Calories 420 (19% from fat)
Fat 8.6 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 32 mg.
Sodium 510 mg.
Carb. 61 gram
Fiber 5 gram
Sugar 11 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 25 gram
2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1 cup reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 box (12 oz.) tri color rotini
2 bags (10 oz. each) mixed vegetables (We used Birds Eye Steamfresh Mixed Vegetables.)
Hot Sauce Topping
I have a friend that's never eaten Mac and Cheese. But she's also on a diet, so she's very careful about what she eats. After some exploring and testing, I came up with this wonderfully creamy dish with a surprising 25 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber.
It tastes like a cheat meal, but it's not!
1. Heat the cottage cheese in a microwave for 30-45 seconds. Then put it in the blender. (Heating it before makes it blend better.)
2. Add the cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese and milk. Blend for 3 minutes, until it's completely smooth. Set aside.
3. Add 20-24 cups of water to a pot and turn the heat on high. Bring it to a boil.
4. Heat up the vegetables. If you're using Birds Eye, they take about 5 minutes per bag on high in the microwave.
5. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and let it cook for 7 minutes. Add another minute if you want the pasta to be less firm. Drain the pasta and put it into a large frying pan.
6. Put the cheese sauce into a pan and heat it on LOW heat for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Stir the vegetables into the pasta. Then stir the sauce in. If you'd like it a little hot, add hot sauce to the mix or put it over each serving individually.
Yield: 6 Servings About 1 1/2 Cups Each
You can keep individual servings in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.