Crunchy Taco Ring
Calories 435 (42% from fat)
Fat 20 gram
Saturated Fat 8 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 58 mg.
Sodium 158 mg.
Carb. 46 gram
Fiber 16.6 gram
Sugar 7 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 29 gram
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups white onion, diced
1 red or green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves (3 tsp.), minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 pound ground beef, 93% lean
1 packet taco seasoning (1.25 oz.)
(We used Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix Original.)
2 Tbsp. lime juice (About the juice of 1 lime.)
10 tortilla wraps
(We used the 8-inch Mission Carb Balance Sundried Tomato Basil Tortillas.)
buttery cooking spray
1 1/2 cups fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
24 Doritos Chips - About 1 1/2 cups crushed
(We used Doritos Cool Ranch Doritos.)
2 cups (16 oz.) pico de gallo
16 Tbsp. fat free sour cream
We were forwarded a version of this recipe from Tasty.co and loved the concept. Unfortunately, the original version was extremely high in fat. After several attempts, we came up with something much lower. We were most surprised when we put some in the refrigerator. We heated it for a minute the next day and loved the more moist texture.
This recipe is higher in sodium. You should consider another option if you're on a low-sodium diet.
1. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. (A cast iron skillet is better when you get to browning the meat.)
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to carmelize, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Stir together and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Pour this out into a bowl and set aside.
4. Increase the heat in the frying pan to medium-high. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and heat it until it's shimmering.
5. Add the ground beef to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to break it into a FEW LARGE pieces, NOT a bunch of small pieces. Let the meat brown for about 3 minutes without touching it.
6. After 3 minutes, break up the ground beef into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Stir in the vegetables and continue to cook until the meat is evenly browned and no longer pink.
7. Stir in the taco seasoning and lime juice. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic back in with the ground beef. Mix thoroughly, remove from heat, put it in a bowl, cover and set aside. You can store this in the refrigerator for up to two days before making the dish.
8. Place the tortillas on a cutting board. Cut off two round sides of the tortillas, leaving a 4-inch wide middle section.
9. Cut the middle section in half vertically.
10. Spray a bundt pan with the buttery cooking spray. Make sure to coat thoroughly and generously.
11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
12. Place the middle strips of the tortillas in the bundt pan in a fanning pattern. Each strip should overlap the previous strip slightly.
13. Sprinkle half the fat free cheddar cheese in the bundt pan.
14. Spread half the ground beef mixture on top of the cheese.
15. Place one-third of the tortillas with round edges on top of the ground beef mixture in a fanning pattern.
16. Sprinkle half the Monterey Jack cheese on top of the tortillas.
17. Spread the Doritos chips on top of the cheese.
18. Place another one-third of the tortillas with round edges on top of the Doritos in a fanning pattern.
19. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheddar cheese on top of the tortillas.
20. Spread the remainder of the ground beef mixture on top of the cheese.
21. Sprinkle the remainder of the Monterey Jack cheese on top of the ground beef.
22. Place the remainder of the tortillas with round edges on top of the cheese in a fanning pattern.
23. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until crispy and browned.
24. Let cool for 20 minutes. Then place a plate on top of the bundt pan, flip the bundt pan over and put the crunchy taco ring on a serving board.
25. Slice into 8 pieces and top with 4 tablespoons of pico de gallo and 2 tablespoons of sour cream per serving.
Yield: 8 Servings
You can keep individual servings in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Microwave on high for approximately 1 minute and enjoy.