Beef and Soba Noodle Salad
Calories 535 (24% from fat)
Fat 14 gram
Saturated Fat 3.3 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 100 mg.
Sodium 674 mg.
Carb. 63 gram
Fiber 7 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 3.5 gram
Protein 42 gram
8 oz. (about 1 3/4 cup) shiitake or portabello griller mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus (16 spears), cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched
8 oz. 100% buckwheat soba noodles, cooked, drained and cooled
1/4 cup lower sodium soy sauce
3 tsp. ginger, ground
1 clove (1 tsp.) garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. sugar free honey
(We Used Honey Tree Sugar Free Imitation Honey.)
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 lb. eye round steak, grilled
1 cup scallions, chopped
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the sliced mushrooms into a bowl and drizzle the olive oil over the top. Toss until the mushrooms are coated. Then spread the mushrooms in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with black pepper, put in the oven and bake approximately 30 minutes, just until the mushrooms begin to dry.
2. Start a pot of water boiling. Prepare a mixing bowl half filled with ice and set aside. Boil the asparagus about one minute, until it turns bright green. Then immediately scoop out the asparagus and put it in the bowl of ice so it stops cooking. This will cook it, but still keep it firm.
3. Cook the soba noodles according to package directions. (Generally in a pot of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water.) Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey and Dijon mustard.
5. Cook the steak on a hot grill. When it's ready, cut it into bite sized chunks. Slice against the grain (across the striated fibers) and the meat will be more tender.
6. Toss the soba noodles together with the mushrooms and asparagus. Then pour the soy dressing mix over the noodles and toss until it's mixed.
7. Serve the noodles on a plate first, then top with the meat, scallions and sesame seeds. It's ready to eat.
(You can put individual servings in a covered container and store it in the refrigerator for the next day. It's good hot (re-heated in the microwave for 2-3 minutes) or cold.)
Yield: 4 Servings