Grilled Chicken Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette
Calories 424 (31% from fat)
Fat 14.7 gram
Saturated Fat 4 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 78 mg.
Sodium 718 mg.
Carb 36 gram
Fiber 4 gram
Sugar 19 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0.6 gram
Protein 34.4 gram
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove (1 tsp.) garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup blueberry preserves
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar free maple syrup
(We used Cary's Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup.)
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp. salt
dash black pepper
buttery cooking spray
8 oz. (about 8 cups) mixed salad greens and spinach
1 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
(We used Athenos Reduced Fat Feta Cheese.)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 can (15 oz.) no sugar added mandarin oranges
(We used Del Monte No Sugar Added Mandarin Oranges.)
The original version of this recipe came from Taste of Home. We made a couple changes to reduce the fat and sugar, while still keeping all the great taste. This blueberry vinaigrette sauce, fruit and chicken combination is a delight in every bite.
1. Toss the raw chicken with the tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (If the chicken breasts are particularly thick, slice them thinner before mixing them with the olive oil, etc.)
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the 7 vinaigrette ingredients, olive oil through the dash of black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
3. Heat a non-stick pan or grill over medium heat. Once it's hot, lightly coat the pan with buttery cooking spray. Then add the chicken, cover and cook, about 5-7 minutes per side, until each side is browned and a thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it's cooked, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, before cutting it into bite sized pieces.
4. Place about 2 ounces (2 cups) of mixed greens on each plate. Then divide the chicken between 4 plates, sprinkle 1/4 of a cup feta cheese over each plate.
5. Drizzle 2 1/2 tablespoons of the blueberry vinaigrette over each serving. Then sprinkle 1/4 of a cup of blueberries over each plate and finally add about 1/3 of a cup of mandarin oranges over the top of each serving.
Yield: 4 Servings