Calories 216 (22% from fat)
Fat 5.3 gram
Saturated Fat 0.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Chol. 0 mg.
Sodium 198 mg.
Carb. 31 gram
Fiber 7.8 gram
Sugar 3.4 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 12 gram
3 cups of water
1 cup dry red lentils
fat free butter cooking spray
1 medium onion (1 cup), chopped
1 medium carrot (about 2.2 oz.), diced
1 medium stalk celery (7-1/2 to 8" long), diced
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
4 Tbsp. sprouted flax powder (or finely ground flaxseeds)
1 cup rolled oats
(We used Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.)
3.5 ounces (about 1/2 cup) extra firm tofu, finely chopped
1 tsp. no salt (sodium free salt alternative)
1 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 tsp. fresh ginger, ground
2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
2. Take out one of the lentils and test it. You want it to be mushy, so it can be formed into a patty. If it's still firm, cook for 3-5 more minutes and try again.
3. Once the lentils are cooked, pour them into a colander and rinse with cold water so they don't cook any more. Keep rinsing with cold water until the lentils are completely cooled down.
4. While the lentils are cooking, warm up a non-stick pan over medium heat. Then spray a little butter in the pan and cook the onion, carrots and celery until the onion begins to turn translucent.
5. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Then add the vegetables and all remaining ingredients to the lentils, mix together and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, until it's firm.
6. Take 1/2 a cup of lentil mixture and make into a patty. Cook the patties for 5-8 minutes over medium heat on each side and then serve (or freeze).
Yield: 7 Servings
You can freeze individual patties for easy re-heating later.
Microwave each pattie for approximately 2-3 minutes, keeping the container open a little to allow steam to escape.