Chili Dogs (Vegetarian)
Calories 370 (21% from fat)
Fat 9 gram
Saturated Fat 0.5 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 0 mg.
Sodium 1336 mg.
Carb. 45 gram
Fiber 13 gram
Sugar 10 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 32 gram
12 oz. package of veggie crumbles
(We used Morning Star Farms Grillers Crumbles.)
1/3 cup water
1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 can (10.75 oz.) tomato puree
1/3 cup ketchup
(We used Heinz No Sugar Added Tomato Ketchup.)
1.5 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. red chili pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
5 veggie hot dogs
(We used Jumbo Smart Dogs Meatless Veggie Hot Dogs.)
5 whole wheat hot dog buns
2.5 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
This is a classic summer picnic recipe, re-imagined as a vegetarian dish. This version has 200 fewer calories, more fiber and less fat than the traditional beef recipes. With our careful mix of flavors, it tastes great too.
1. Heat a medium sized non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the frozen veggie crumbles and 1/3 cup water. Cover and cook for 4 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook an additional 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the next 10 ingredients, yellow onion, tomato puree, ketchup, chili powder, red chili pepper, white vinegar, ground mustard, hot pepper sauce, onion salt and garlic powder. Then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently until it thickens, about 35 minutes.
4. At the 20 minute mark, cook the hot dogs according to package directions. I like to use a grill pan, lightly coat with buttery cooking spray and “grill" them over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, turning frequently.
5. While the hot dogs are cooking, turn the oven on to broil. After it’s hot, put the buns, cut side up on a baking sheet. (That's assuming the heating element of the broiler is at the top of the oven.) Then broil them for 30 to 60 seconds. They will brown quickly, so watch them CLOSELY to prevent burning. You only have to brown the inside, so don't bother flipping them over and browning the other side.
Once the buns are browned, the hot dogs are cooked and the sauce is thickened, it’s time to build.
6. Put 1/2 tablespoon of mustard on each bun. Add the veggie dog and top that with a 1/2 cup of chili. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chopped red onion over the top of each one and serve.
Yield: 5 Servings
You can freeze the chili for easy re-heating later. Put each individual serving in freezer safe containers.
Microwave for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.
While the chili is re-heating, toast a bun and cook the hot dog. You should be able to heat everything up in about 8-10 minutes.