Chicken Burrito by Leigh
Calories 606 (25% from fat)
Fat 16.5 gram
Saturated Fat 7 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 68 mg.
Sodium 739 mg.
Carb. 72 gram
Fiber 8.5 gram
Sugar 6 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 42 gram
1/2 cup (dry) brown jasmine rice
1/8 tsp. of sea salt
1 can (15 ounces) low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups Vidalia onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
9 or so mini sweet peppers (9 ounces), chopped.
(You can also use 9 ounces of red and yellow bell peppers.)
1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut up in 1/2 inch chunks
1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 can (7 ounce can) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely diced with juices
2 medium stalks green onions (scallions) about 4 inches long each, diced
6 extra large flour tortillas (12 inches across)
1 bag (8 ounces or 2 cups) low fat Mexican or mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 red jalapeño (1/2 an ounce), thinly sliced.
A hearty delicious burrito packed with protein and fiber. This has more calories than our traditional meal, so if you're looking for a lower calorie option, simply cut the burrito in half. Then store each half on it's own.
1. In a small pot, bring 1 cup water to boil. Add jasmine rice and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt. Simmer on low for 35 minutes. When rice is finished, set aside.
2. While the rice is cooking, drain the beans, rinse well and set aside.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and spread evenly over bottom of pan. Then cook the onions, garlic and sweet peppers until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
4. Pour the vegetables out into a bowl and set aside. Then put the chicken in the pan in a single layer. Season the chicken with chili powder and cumin, cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring ocassionally, until browned.
5. Stir the vegetables back in with the chicken and add the chipotle peppers. Mix everything in the pan together. Cook until chicken is done and the onions are really soft.
6. Stir in the diced green onions and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
BUILD THE BURRITOS
7. Lay out the six tortillas. Then divide the rice, beans, chicken mixture and cheese (1/3 cup of cheese per tortilla) equally between the tortillas.
8. Top each tortilla with sliced jalapeno (if you like things spicy.)
9. Pinch edges, roll the tortillas up then roll the finished burrito inside parchment paper. Put each tortilla in a freezer safe bag if you want to save it for later.
Yield: 6 Servings
You can freeze individual burritos for easy re-heating later.
Make sure to freeze them wrapped in parchment paper and then in freezer safe containers or bags..
When you heat them up, microwave for approximately 4 - 4.5 minutes, keeping the parchment paper on to retain moisture. Cut in half to make sure it's heated through.