Calories 20 (13% from fat)
Fat 0.2 gram
Saturated Fat 0 gram
Trans Fat 0 gram
Cholesterol 8 mg.
Sodium 85 mg.
Carb. 3 gram
Fiber 0.5 gram
Sugar 0.5 gram
Sugar Alcohol 0 gram
Protein 1.8 gram
16 oz. broccoli with the largest part of the stems cut off
1/2 cup panko (bread crumbs)
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cups fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup green onions (scallions), chopped
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
We saw this recipe on a website called popsugar.com and were intrigued. A tasty broccoli snack? We made a couple tweaks to the recipe and you're going to love how they turned out. They make an excellent party snack and are a great way to help kids enjoy their vegetables.
Make a couple batches in advance, freeze them and reheat anytime you want a tasty vegetable side dish.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
2. Heat a medium sized pot of water to boiling. Drop the broccoli in the water and boil for 90 seconds, then pour the broccoli in a strainer and cover with cold water to stop it from cooking any more.
3. Chop the broccoli into small pieces, then mix together with the rest of the ingredients until totally combined.
4. Scoop about 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture into your hands. Then squeeze it tight into the shape of a tater tot. You'll notice a little moisture will come out as you squeeze it, that means it's compact enough. Each broccoli tot should be about 2 inches long and about 1 inch thick.
5. Place each broccoli tot on the baking sheet, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the panko bread starts to brown. Take out of the oven and enjoy while it's warm.
You can form these in advance, cover them and store them in the refrigerator up to 4 hours before you bake them.
Yield: 25 Servings
You can freeze individual portions for easy re-heating later.
Microwave for approximately 1 - 2 minutes. Keep the container open a little to allow steam to escape.